Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year

Christmas is over.

The new year's begun.

I've had it with winter;

I'm ready for sun.

 

I'm spoiled rotten –

I know it, it's true;

but I've lived here five years now,

so what can I do?

 

Temps in the 40s!

I can't take it that chilly.

I'm from the Northeast

so I know that sounds silly.

 

I don't mean to cry,

whine, mope or sulk,

but who can move

wrapped up in this bulk?

 

The turtlenecks, fleeces

and warm woolen sweaters

get the job done

but what would be better

 

Is if temperatures rose

up, just a bit, see

60 or 70

is quite nice to me.

 

But alas, I must wait

a little while longer

for our hot desert sun

to grow a bit stronger.

 

Just a few more weeks now –

not as long as you'd think.

In fact, summer will be here

before I can blink.

 

Why do I rush things

the way that I do?

Because I haven't got patience –

It's an elusive virtue. 

 

I'll work on that this year;

yes, that'll be fine

for a good resolution

for 2009.

 

I welcome the new year –

it's got a good start;

I heard from an old friend

and that warmed my heart.

 

So the future's before us –

wide open and clear;

embrace it fully,

and have a Happy New Year!

 

Here's to 2009…

 

 - M

 

No comments: